Body Positive Massage is a privilege to offer in my office. I have benefited from it many times myself, and have learned from less positive experiences myself.
As a body positive massage therapist, here’s what you can expect when you get a massage with me.
When you come in for a massage with me, I will:
- Be grateful for the opportunity to work with you
- Accept, honor, and value you and your body just as you are today
- Listen to you and your lived experience in your body
- Trust that you know your body best
- Treat you according to what you report and what you ask for
- Do my very best to make sure you are comfortable throughout the massage. This might include:
- Extra bolstering under your shoulders when you are lying on your stomach
- Positioning you on your side throughout the massage, without the need to lie on your stomach
- Leaving the room and giving you time and ease to move from lying on your front to lying on your back
- Ask you what’s worked or not worked for you in the past
- Look forward to your appointment just as I look forward to seeing all clients
- Make any post-massage suggestions from a HAES perspective
When you come in for a massage therapy appointment with me, I absolutely will never ever:
- Approach our session together differently than someone in a smaller body. (pssst. In fact, I work with every body in a unique way, so actually I will work with you differently, but you knew what I meant, right?)
- Tell you that shrinking your body will mean you are caring for yourself more responsibly
- Imply that shrinking your body will solve any of your problems
- Explain that the size of your body is the cause of physical pain you might be experiencing
- Fat shame you in any way
- Assume that focusing on your health is your obligation
- Think that being in a larger body means that you don’t care about your health
- Guess that being in a larger body means you don’t work out
- Presume that being in a larger body means you eat in a ‘bad’ way
- Look down on you if you don’t work out
- Think less of you if you don’t prioritize all areas of self-care at the moment
- Judge you at all 💚.
I might assess some things about you to make sure I offer the best massage per your goals, but that’s a very different thing than all of the above inho.
Key takeaway: a body positive massage is not only about what I will and will not tell you.
So most importantly, I want you to know this.
I genuinely do not believe that shrinking your body on purpose is something you should ever focus on, unless you want to for whatever reasons you might choose.
Our bodies change and adjust daily. And they change in many ways, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse. And much of that change is outside of our control.
And I genuinely believe and know that you are enough, that you are whole, that you are perfect, just as you are.